The immediate past Deputy President of the Senate, Ike Ekweremadu, has confirmed the physical assault on him
by some members of the proscribed Indigenous Peoples of Biafra in Nuremberg, Germany, on Saturday.
Ekweremadu confirmed the attack in a statement released by his Media Assistant, Uche Anichukwu in Abuja.
The News Agency o Nigeria reports that a 64-second video about the attack had gone viral on the social media earlier on Saturday.
The Senator, who also gave account of the event on his social media handle, @iamekweremadu, however, assured that he was safe.
He condemned the attack and said he had immediately reported it to the Nigerian Ambassador to Germany, Mr. Yusuf Tuggar.
He said: “I attended the Second Annual Cultural Festival and Convention organised by Ndi-Igbo Germany in Nuremberg today, where I was billed to give a keynote address along with the President-General of Ohanaeze Ndigbo, Chief Nnia Nwodo, who, however, could not make it eventually.
“I was given a resounding welcome by Ndigbo in Germany and everything went smoothly until some men, who identified themselves as IPOB members, stormed the venue and began to complain about the killings in the South East, stressing that there would be no Igbo event at the venue.
“I tried to engage them, but when they became unruly, I had to leave the venue. The organisers also invited the police and I was accompanied out of the venue.
“I have received thousands of solidarity calls and messages from well meaning Ndigbo.
“I want to assure them that I am hale and hearty.
“I have also spoken with the Nigerian Ambassador to Germany, Ambassador Yusuf Tuggar.”