UN Speaks On Lagos Building Collapse

The United Nations Secretary-General, Antonio Guterres, said he is saddened over the collapse of a three-storey building which left many pupils dead in Itafaji area of Lagos Island on Wednesday.

It was reported that at least 50 children have been rescued by the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (Lasema), National Emergency Management Agency (Nema), as well as other security agencies.

The Spokesperson for the UN Secretary-General, Stephane Dujarric, disclosed this on Thursday at a news conference on Thursday

He said: “The Secretary-General will be writing to the government of Nigeria to express his condolences.”

Recall that Lasema had said there is no casualty left under the debris of the collapsed building in Itafaaji area of Lagos Island.

General Manager of Lasema, Adesina Tiamiyu, who spoke with newsmen at the site of the incident on Thursday morning, said those trapped in the collapsed building had been rescued.

“We stopped work at 3: 00 a.m after recovering the lifeless body of a male and we are sure there is no casualty left under the debris,” he said.

He, however, said Lasema could not confirm the total figure of casualty, saying the ministry of health would release the accurate figure later in the day.

Tiamiyu also denied claims that over 100 pupils were trapped in the collapsed building.

He said: “I have seen the picture of the building before it collapsed and I can confirm to you that the floor that housed the school cannot accommodate up to 100 pupils.”

He added that “only the school administrator can tell us the number of pupils in the school, but the proprietor is also at the hospital receiving treatment and we can’t confirm that now.”

PropellerAds
Advertisements

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply