Twin blasts rock Kabul, dozens reportedly killed & injured

Two explosions have rocked the Afghan capital of Kabul, causing an unknown number of casualties. At least 21 people have been killed and 45 injured, according to AFP.

The first explosion was carried out by a suicide bomber, according to AP. It was quickly followed by a car bomb near the same area.

Interior Ministry spokesman Sediq Sediqqi confirmed that there are casualties, but said the exact numbers are so far unclear.

The blasts were likely targeting an area which includes government and lawmakers’ offices, according to Sediqqi.

TOLO News reported that the blasts were targeting a convoy of officials leaving parliament offices.

Afghanistan’s health ministry has confirmed that at least 40 were wounded in the explosions, according to TOLO. Eyewitness accounts cited by the outlet indicated that the number of dead and injured could be as high as 50.

Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said the group was responsible for the attacks.

Earlier on Tuesday, a suicide bomber killed at least seven people in southern Helmand province, according to provincial police chief Gen. Agha Noor Kemtoz. He said the target of that attack was a guesthouse used by a provincial intelligence official.

No one has claimed responsibility for the earlier attack, but the Taliban frequently uses suicide attacks and roadside bombs to target government officials and Afghan security forces.

Be the first to comment

Advertisements