Nigerian Army confirms PREMIUM TIMES story on deadly gun battle that left several Nigerian soldiers missing

images (10)

The Nigerian Army has confirmed PREMIUM TIMES exclusive report on Boko Haram’s attack on Nigeria’s 157 Battalion attached to the Multi-National Joint Task Force in Baga, Borno State.

Citing a reliable military source, PREMIUM TIMES reported that at least 105 soldiers including their commanding officer were feared missing after the attack on Wednesday.

“Gudunbali was attacked this morning and some weapons were captured from the battalion. Two officers and 105 soldiers are still missing,” our source said.

“They captured a T-72 tank from the unit and some artillery weapons were also captured. The commanding Officer of the battalion is yet to be seen but no one has been confirmed dead yet,” our source said.

We also reported that soldiers of the Multi-National Joint Task Force stationed at Baga, Borno State were also attacked in Geringiwa, about four kilometres away from the headquarters of MNJTF.

The spokesperson for the Nigeria Army, Sani Usman, a colonel, who had earlier said enquiries on the matter should be directed to officials of the 7 Division of the Nigerian Army in Maiduguri, called our reporter after the story was published to confirm the incident.

“I want to confirm the incidence at Gudunbali but the details you provided were not correct, and Baga has never been attacked,” Mr. Usman said on telephone.

“The unit attacked is within the area of responsibility of the MNJTF and troops are now organising to counter the attack,” he said.

He said the Theatre Command of the 7 Division would provide the details of the attack during a press conference arranged later today in Maiduguri.

Mr. Usman however did not give any details to counter our account of the incident.

Be the first to comment

Advertisements