The #BringBackOurGirls campaigners on Tuesday secured a meeting with Nigeria’s president, Muhammadu Buhari, a month since his assumption of duty on May 29.
The convener of the group, Obiageli Ezekwesili, via twitter, said a presidential confirmation of the meeting had been received by the group.
She said, “WE @BBOG_Nigeria have received confirmation of schedule of OUR MEETING with @MBuhari & FG on our #ChibokGirls for July 8th 2015 @ 12 noon.”
On assumption of duty as Nigeria’s president, the group had written requesting a meeting with Mr. Buhari.
The #BringBackOurGirls movement’s several attempts to have such meeting with the past administration failed.
The past administration led by Goodluck Jonathan was criticised over its handling of abduction of the Chibok girls.
The meeting, the group said, will enable the group express their deep anxieties at the failure of the Nigerian Government to rescue the 219 Chibok girls kidnapped from their hostels at a government secondary school Chibok in Borno State.
The girls were kidnapped at night on April 14 by members of Boko Haram terrorists.
The campaigners said the meeting with the president will also help the group understand and contribute to the strategy for countering terrorism, ensuring post-insurgency recovery and other related issues in Nigeria.