Benue: 70-Year Old Man Resurrects From Dead


Wonders! They say, will never end! A 70 year old man, who was confirmed dead and had spent three days in a mortuary in Makurdi, the Benue state capital, has returned to life.

Doctors at a private hospital in the town had on Saturday, August 26, 2015, certified Amos Otene dead at 4:30am and promptly covered him up and wheeled him into the mortuary, awaiting instructions from members of the family for embalming.


Proving further that Otene was dead, the doctors extracted the requisite body fluid and other substances from the corpse, for post mortem examination which was to ultimately reveal the cause of death.

According to the family, the hospital admitted Otene on Friday August 25 after he complained of severe toothache which had persisted for several days.

One of his children, Eche, who was taken to the mortuary to confirm that his father had indeed died, said:

“The morticians at the hospital wheeled out the trolley containing my father and unveiled the face for me to see.

“It was in this process that he started raising his right hand and all of us fled towards the reception area of the mortuary. From a safe distance we watched as my father lifted himself and sat on the bed and that was about seven minutes later. One of the attendants eventually summoned enough courage and approached my father who fell back on the trolley.”

As the news of Otene’s death spread, family members and other sympathisers continued to throng the hospital.

Speaking to Vanguard, Otene said: “What I remember is that I was in a vehicle and traveled a long distance.

“When I got there, there were many people and there was a lot of celebration and merriment and the people were happy. But they did not allow me to stay with them. They said I should go back and repeat my work.

I am much better now and I thank God for everything and I also owe many thanks to the hospital for taking care of me and my family members who have been worried. I hope they will continue to be with me until I am completely free from this stress.”

However, a Makurdi-based medical practitioner, Dr. Ameh Edace, said Otene was most likely not dead when he was declared so.

He said: “He was in a long coma. He was in a long coma if he came back to life before embalment.”

Be the first to comment