Nigerian security outfits (EFCC & DSS) have sprung into action of recent, clamping down on people who allegedly took part in a fraudulent arms deal which saw $2bn disappear from the country’s coffers during the regime of ex-President Goodluck Jonathan.
Here’s a list of people arrested in the past 3 days and why they were arrested:
1. Sambo Dasuki – The former NSA had been placed on house arrested for the past week but was whisked away by DSS operatives yesterday. He’s touted to be the mastermind of the whole fraudulent operation.
2. Abba Mohammed – the son of a former PDP chairman was on Monday arrested for alleged complicity in the arms deals. It was stated that he received N600m in the name of BAM Properties Limited.
3. Raymond DOkpesi – Reports say N2.5bn was traced to the DAAR communications chairman from the office of ex NSA Sambo Dasuki.
4. Sagir Bafarawa – the son of the former Sokoto state governor was arrested on Monday after N4.6bn was traced to him from the Office of the former NSA Sambo Dasuki. EFCC believes he was fronting for his father.
5. Attahiru Bafarawa: The former Governor of Sokoto State had been playing hide and seek with the EFCC for a while. He was brought in yesterday after some amount of money was traced to his son’s account.
6. Bashir Yuguda – the former Minister of State for Finance, was arrested on Monday for his role in the operation. It wasn’t elaborated if he was in charge of distribution of funds or whatever. EFCC was tight-lipped on information about him.