Latest investigation reveals the cause of Leicester city chairman Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha’s helicopter crash.

The October 27th helicopter crash which killed Leicester chairman Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha and four others on board lost control after a pedal mechanism became disconnected, investigators reveal.

The AW169 aircraft then turned uncontrollably to the right before crashing near the King Power Stadium.

The AAIB added its inquiries into the crash, which happened on October 27 were ongoing.

Srivaddhanaprabha, two members of his staff Nusara Suknamai and Kaveporn Punpare, and pilots Eric Swaffer and Roza Lechowicz were killed in the crash.

A public memorial for Mr Swaffer and Ms Lechowicz – who police said was a passenger at the time of the crash – is taking place at Guildford Cathedral on Thursday.

An inspection of the crash site found parts of a mechanism linking the pilot’s pedals to the tail rotor had become disconnected and there was a “build-up of black grease” on one component.

The failure of the system led to the pitch of the tail rotor blades being changed “until they reached the physical limit of their travel”.

The report read: “The initiating cause and exact sequence of the failure that resulted in the loss of tail rotor control is being investigated as a priority.”

Footage of the aircraft’s last flight, taken from inside the ground, shows the AgustaWestland AW169 flying normally for about 40 seconds before it pauses and goes into a downward spin.

She said: “They were just an incredible couple and amazing pilots”.

“[They were] always there for their family and friends, ready to fly across the globe to be with us or anyone who would need it.”

“I wish you could meet each other. We have already applied for his passport, as you wished, so he can fly before he walks.

“You have touched the lives of every single person you have met… I know I am not alone in feeling a part of me is missing that never can be replaced.”


Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply